In case you’ve been living under a rock and missed ALL of the buzz for the past several months, Canada is turning 150 this July 1st! We are so fortunate to be living, working and playing in this beautiful country. With our nation’s birthday just around the corner, we thought it would be fun to share a little list of interesting facts and reasons why are so happy to call this spectacular country “home”.
1. We’ve got beauty AND brains! Canada is the most educated country in the world. How privileged we are to have free education at our fingertips.
2. We’ll pick up the phone! The nation’s official phone number is 1-800-O-Canada.
3. We’ve got Girl power! Half of Canada’s provinces (which account for more than 85% of the population) are governed by women.
4. We’ve got a sense of humour! We actually have a town name with exclamation points, Quebec’s Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!
5. We’ve got superpowers. It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Some of the world’s most popular superheroes were conceived by Canadian minds, including Superman and Wolverine.
6. We know how to make a splash! Twenty percent of the world’s fresh water is in Canada, and it has more lakes than any other country. No wonder Canadians love cottage season!
7. We live and breathe for sports. As much as Canadians love hockey, it’s actually not the national sport – lacrosse, a First Nations game, is.
8. We’re a pretty big deal. The largest Sony big screen TV can be found in Toronto’s Rogers Centre. Let’s go Blue Jays!
9. We have great taste. Canada consumes more mac and cheese than any other country in the world. Who doesn’t love mac and cheese?
These are just a *few* of the reasons we love Canada… but what tops our list has got to be all of the wonderful people that call Canada “home”. To all of our fellow Canadians, YOU are what make this place so special and so loved, the world over.
Happy 150th Canada!
Stay tuned for weekly blog updates and make sure to follow us on social media as we deliver fresh, new content to inspire, excite and assist as you plan your dream event. From all of us at Liuna Gardens, thank you for following along!